Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Just when I thought we were on a roll...

Feeding Hannah has always been a struggle for some reason or another from the start. Since her second day of birth, the hospital wanted me to give her formula because she was losing weight and she wasn't nursing properly with me. It was so upsetting! I couldn't get myself to give her a bottle so Brian had to do it. Then, she became a pro at nursing! She was still and always has been low in weight. I just never had a fat, chubby baby. She nursed all the time, but when it came time to send her to daycare, that became an issue too. The caregivers were not sure how to handle Breast milk. All the babies were on formula and Hannah was the only that had expressed milk sent with her. Well we finally got that settled, but then came solids. I waited until a little after 6 months to give her solids. We started with baby cereal and breast milk, then bananas, avocado anything soft. Then I started making her food by steaming veggies and fruit at home and sending that to daycare as well. Everyone at the daycare and the moms that work with Brian were astonished of how I could work full-time, pump at work and make her baby food. To me, there was no other option. However, this is not the mother I envisioned that I would be, it just turned out that way. I would do anything for Hannah!

Fast forward to these last couple of weeks where I have agreed to let Hannah eat off the menu at daycare. I figured at 1 year old she need to learn how to eat other foods besides what I make her. I still send her snacks from home (pears, bananas, yogurt) just in case she doesn't like what they serve at daycare. Surprisingly enough, she has been eating very well. So i decided to let her eat what we eat at home. This has made us very aware of what Brian and I are putting in our mouths on a daily basis so we are going back to healthy eating, not only for ourselves but our daughter. Anyway, I decided to buy Hannah one of those Lil' Graduate meals for toddlers from Gerber. I know, I know, it doesn't exactly follow along the lines of what she has been fed in the past,but I figured that for her first year of life, I provided all of her nourishment's, and I needed a break.

Well, she ended up loving it! They are not cheap, but she only eats one meal a day with us during the week, so I could splurge. It saves a lot of time as well. She tried all different kinds and enjoyed them all... until last night! Hannah turned into the picky eater that I was trying to avoid. She didn't want any of it! She would shake her head and push the spoon away from her mouth when we got near her. After about an hour of trying to feed her, playing with her, trying to trick her into eating and giving her a break, she ended up eating cheerios and yogurt. You know what, I was OK with that.

I'll try again tonight, but I may just cook some pasta, which she loves! We'll see what kind of adventures will arise tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment